Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Grammar of Thanksgiving

Clapp's view on the grammar of Thanksgiving was written with a historical and religious perspective. I was confused at the beginning of the essay. It seemed like he was trying to stretch a "metaphorical" like example of grammar and other things to make sense and prove a point. It began to make sense the more in depth into the essay it got, but it was still a little confusing, but then again that might just be me. I liked how he gave examples as to what he meant by the grammar of Thanksgiving, it made it make more sense the more examples given. In his first paragraph he clearly states that he will be writing with a Christian perspective, then continues with this throughout the essay. He gives a simple explanation of Thanksgiving, which is helpful for someone who doesn't know, or can't remember, why Thanksgiving is celebrated. I agreed with a few of the things he wrote. The brief statistics of how little our country gives to others was depressing. I like the comparison he used with Thanksgiving and the story of Exodus. I think he made a good point that Thanksgiving is a time of giving thanks and we should above all thank God. I overall liked his view of the grammar of Thanksgiving.

No comments: